St Bartholomew, Furtho

The medieval village of Furtho became deserted when the main road to Northampton was re-routed and the parish ceased to exist in 1920, leaving the modern farm, a dovecot, some lumps and bumps where the village was sited and St Bartholomew’s church.

The church of St Bartholomew at Furtho was finally closed for regular worship in 1990 and it is now vested in the Churches Conservation Trust, but we are able to hold a couple of services at the church each year. We celebrate St Bartholomew’s Day at the end of August with a service and some fellowship and also come together for a very special Nine Lessons and Carols service at Christmas. The church is lit only by candlelight and has no heating, but it does not affect the warmth of the occasion at all!